Thursday, February 23, 2006

Useful Internets - Includes recipes!


How Do You Cook Your Ramen?

Vaughn W from Pittsburgh wrote in with this question… “How do the readers cook their ramen?”

I usually prefer soup to noodles. This means I also usually break-up my ramen and add the seasoning to the water. I also really like adding an egg to my ramen, along with some green onions (other veggies take too long to soften up).

How about you guys?

  • Do you break up your noodles or leave the brick intact?
  • Do you prefer to eat ramen as a soup or as noodles?
  • Do you add the spices/seasoning to the water, or add it to the noodles post-cooking?

11 Responses to “How Do You Cook Your Ramen?”

  1. KC Says:

    I .prefer it as a soup. I also leve my noodles in the brick intact. I do not add and spices or veggies.
    My favorite Ramen is the CHICKEN flavor

  2. I’m a little particular about my ramen…
    First, I always leave the noodles intact. No breaking up. I wait till the water comes to a boil, drop in the noodle block and cook just until the noodles are loose. Then I drain the cooking water. This is an important step because the water is too starchy and fatty for my taste. I leave the drained noodles off to the side.
    Then I fill the pot with enough water (but not too much because I don’t like the broth to be too bland) and turn the heat back on. I put in any soup packets. i like to add spinach leaves or dried seaweed or whatever else I have around. Sometimes I’ll add tofu for protein. Or if I want an egg, I will drop the egg in when the water starts to simmer, but I won’t break it up because I like the yolk intact and runny. When the soup starts to simmer, I’ll add the noodles until the soup comes to a boil. I transfer the finished ramen into a bowl. Gently doing so will result in a nice bowl of ramen with the softly poached egg on top of the noodles.

    Voila! Ramen! Draining the cooking water results in a clearer, much cleaner tasting broth. And I’m convinced a lot of the fat/oil used to deep fry the noodles gets cooked off, resulting in a healthier dish.

    Favorite brands are: Shin Ramyun, Jin Ramyun, An Sung Tang Myun. I’m Korean so I tend to like the spicier flavors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Today.com