Thursday, March 23, 2006

Why I Hate Panhandlers

Tuesday while going home, there was a guy, mid 40's, standing on the corner of Lincoln and Colfax holding up a sign that said:

'Homeless and broke. Anything will help. Please' It might have even said 'Vietnam Vet', but I was too busy noticing other things.

What made him different was that he didn't look anything like the other panhandlers downtown. He had a clean backpack, a bag of food it looked like, a bottle of water. His clothes were pretty clean for someone living on the street. He was standing up holding the sign [most panhandlers are strewn across the sidewalk or leaning on a building, listless from the real lack of food and shelter].

As I pass him, I see him look at his watch, decide to call it a day, and then reach for his backpack. As he put his sign in his bag, he pulled out his cellphone [Yes, cellphone] to call someone and say he was 'done for the day' and would be home soon.

Home soon? As in shelter? I doubt it. I think he's one of those people who does it for a living. Thing is, he's on the same corner everyday. And people give him change! If I have to work, he should have to as well.

Does anybody know if there is some 'cellphone for the homeless' program? If there is, I take it back and I will say I am an arse for being angry with the guy. But to me, it looked like even more proof that some people are too lazy to do an honest days work and be part of the machine.

This story reminded me of the crazy dude who would dress up as a preacher and panhandle for money in Lo Do on weekends. Saw him get arrested once. Haven't seen him in a while which is a good thing. If we want to attract more tourism, we need to work on getting the panhandlers out of downtown.

I know there are people with legtimate needs, and problems out there. But it is a*holes like this that bug me.


1 Comments:

Blogger themikestand said...

Part of the issue is that panhandling has become a "career move".

On the radio some time ago, their was a piece about "teen homeless". It was actually thought provoking. And not that I condone the asking for handouts for a living, but some of them had decided that it neither bothered them to ask for money from people on the street, nor did it bother them to be turned down.

So I think of it that way. I try not to feel guilty for saying "no", just as I might not feel guilty for not giving to someone coming to my door collecting for various charities. (whoa, did I just compare homelessness and panhandling to charity?)



(hope I didn't just post that twice... some confusion by Firefox)

March 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Today.com