Friday, May 19, 2006

Stapleton Development




Retail plan announced for Stapleton

Developer Forest City Stapleton has announced additional tenants for the Main Street segment of its Northfield retail development at Interstate 270 and Quebec Street.

The 1.2 million-square foot open-air center will be anchored by a previously-announced Macy's.

My take on Stapleton:

Last week I went driving around Stapleton to check it out.

It's huge, and I really love the fact they are trying to make it more pedestrian and park oriented.

But I was blown away by how Montview is a blatant boundary between the shiny new yuppy-ville, and the older East Colfax burg. It is also a big racial divide, as the old Aurora neighborhood is mostly Latino and African American, and by what I saw of Stapleton, that area is mostly young Caucasian families.

I haven't lived over there since '86, and it was hard to remember what was there and what remains. It was interesting to see that they kept one of the hangars.

There used to be a row of them where private jets used to be stored.

The old view tower and the parking garages are all that's left of the old airport. The tower is right next to a HUGE park that they are building which I think they are going to call 'Central Park'

It's a great re-use of land, but I am too much of a townie, to ever live out there.

1 Comments:

Blogger James said...

You're absolutlely right, man. It's white bread city out there. It's almost like Parker...only a little closer to civilization.

The beauty of the park scheme though is that those of us in the ghetto can go over there and invade their little piece of the rock for a while. When I went to the park, I saw a lot of non-white people. All the white people were up on their front porches with shotguns to keep the darkies away.

May 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Today.com