Thursday, October 26, 2006

He's almost as much a media whore as Madonna.

Father Frets Madonna May Reneg Adoption

LILONGWE, Malawi -- The father of the baby boy Madonna is trying to adopt said he is afraid criticism of the adoption will persuade the singer to drop her efforts and he urged her Thursday not to get angry.

Yohane Banda, the biological father of 13-month old David Banda, was reacting to Madonna's appearance on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" Thursday in which the pop star said she had done nothing wrong, had not used her celebrity to influence Malawian officials and wants to give the boy a better life. She also said she feared the criticism she has received in the media could discourage others from adopting from Africa.

"I am afraid Madonna may get angry and frustrated and decide to dump my son because of these people," said Banda, referring to criticisms from human rights activists in Malawi that officials there had bent the law to speed the adoption process.

"These so-called human rights activists are harassing me every day, threatening me that I am not aware of what I am doing," Banda said. "I'm afraid David may be sent back and the orphanage may not even accept him back. So where will he end up? Here? He will certainly die."

He said activists tried to visit him Wednesday.

"I hid from them. I didn't want to see them. They want me to support their court case, a thing I cannot do for I know what I agreed with Madonna and her husband," said Banda.

The Human Rights Consultative Committee, a group of human rights groups in Malawi, has asked Judge Andrew Nyirenda to review the adoption process to make sure all the laws have been followed. A hearing is scheduled Friday.

In an interview with The Associated Press on Sunday, Banda said authorities had not made it clear to him that he was giving up his only son "for good" when he signed adoption papers earlier this month. But Thursday, he shifted the blame to human rights group.

"I was telling these rights groups that I wasn't selling my son".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Today.com