Saturday, November 11, 2006

Holy crap.

While checking out Zombie Fights Shark, I came across this post about his girlfriend. Yikes. Full post here.

'There's no poetic or witty way to put it, so let me lay it straight: Thursday I was assaulted by a student, and shipped by ambulance to the Maimonides hospital.

It happened near the end of the day on Thursday; one of my students, Ron, was pulling out and showing off his Razor cell phone and I offered the following warning:

'Cell phones are not allowed on school property, if I see it again, I'll let security know, and they will take it.'

And I figured that would be the end of the disturbance. Until Mark. I may have mentioned Mark before, the 17-year-old 9th grader whose technically supposed to be in 8th grade because he never passed the 8th grade reading tests.

I never was able to assess his reading skills because the student refused to cooperate or do any work, it is my speculation that the student could barely read and lived in shame. Long story short, Mark was a very angry young man and I had written a dozen anecdotals on him because I found him to be a danger to other students, teachers, and myself.

The Tuesday prior he pulled the hair of a visiting teacher, for no reason other than she asked him to complete an assignment.

Back to the story: Mark asked Ron to see his phone after I told Ron to put it away. My action was to walk over to the classroom phone and dial security. Mark hopped up out of his seat and vaulted to the phone, first hanging up, and then disconnecting the line.

I struggled to hold on to the phone and the student shoved me down.

Hard.

I was knocked down head first, and my glasses flew across the room.

Holy Mother of God, I saw stars.'


1 Comments:

Blogger Clinton said...

Good times, good times... Seriously, thanks for spreading the word. We're hoping enough people will read this that we can lead a march against the NYC school system.

Okay, we're too lazy to do this. But it's nice to know that the network of support is there in case we do ever decide to take up arms against "the man."

We won't there. There's waaaay to much stuff on TV.

November 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Today.com