Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Mutant Ragu



Normally I make my own tomato sauce for pasta.

But one night I was lazy, and bought a jar of Ragu from the local [they don't carry any other brands].

Last night I was perusing the fridge, trying to figure out what to make for lunch today [I wasn't sure if I would be in the mood for the filet mignon I posted about earlier]. I just got some three peppercorn fettucine, and fresh homemade italian sausage, so pasta sounded like a good idea.

I go to check to see if the Ragu is still any good.

I open the jar and 'Whoooosh!! Pop!'; the sound of gas escaping nearly blows my eardrums.

What was once a half filled jar of tomato sauce, was now a jar filled to the rim, with something that could only be described as tomato grout.

I smelled it, and it smelled ok. But there was no way in hell I was eating that.

The expiration date was just a few weeks ago, so it made me wonder, what the hell is in Ragu?

Instead of growing moldy, Ragu fermented and mutated into an alternate form.

Generally, I try to limit my intake of processed food, and this just reinforces that.

Suffice it to say, I ran to the store and got fresh veggies to make my sauce.



Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger lioux said...

I'm not a big fan of jarred sauces either.

April 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Today.com