Friday, March 02, 2007

Erwin Redl



If you get the chance, you need to check out his work. Over the weekend, I went to see his installation, 'FADE Denver', at the Museum Of Contemporary Art's 'temporary/contemporary' space.

It was trippy.

The Denver installation is a series of red LED lights, installed in a circle around the perimeter of the entire room. Since it is completely pitch black, except for the lights, of course, you are immediately disoriented as you enter in to the space.

It seriously reminded me of my LSD days.

Once your eyes get adjusted, it still plays with your head. Due to microsaccades in the eye, you perception of depth and space is distorted. My friend that accompanied me was hung over, and actually thought about leaving the space because he couldn't handle it.

Eventually, when your vision is fully adjusted, you begin to notice that the wall of lights is 'moving'.

I'm intrigued by installations that are now discussing technology, and how it affects us physically. It is amazing that something as a wall of lights in a black room, can make you physically disoriented, and manipulates perception. [This is the main reason I went in to Interior Design in the first place].

The installation closes March 11, so if you're in Denver, you should try and catch it before it closes.

You can find more examples of his work here.




Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger My adventures said...

there was something similar here a while back... i could have stayed in it all day it was so trippy!!!

March 03, 2007  
Blogger Eddie said...

Sounds amazing. Guess I have to get my ass to Denver...

Missed ya guy... haven't been around. But I'm back!!

Besos

March 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Today.com