Tuesday, June 19, 2007

My Dawgs, And How I Roll







So every morning, and every afternoon, on my way in to work, I get to see 'my dawgs'.

Though they're not real dawgs, they're the prarie dogs that inhibit the grasslands in northern suburbia.

They's me dawgs, yo'.

They greet me every morning with their cachophonius yelps:

'Bon jour, Pee Wee!'.

and later,

'Au revoir, Pee Wee!'.

They are part of the ritual of my day.

Well, a few weeks ago, my dawgs debuted their new offspring.

These cute little buggers, were out taking their first few new steps out to explore suburbia.

'Awwww', I thought.

Once, after rolling at the zoo, and later, tripping my balls off, I realized how we are all connected on this Earth.

I even to this day, I have become the biggest tree-hugger.

I even keep an eye out when I am walking, not to step on any bugs, or ants.

I won't kill a spider if I find it in my domicile.

I honestly get sad, when I see someone cuts down a tree, or kills an animal.

[Yes, I still eat meat, but that's because it comes post-kill, and I don't have to witness/deal with the deed].

So, much like talking to your co-workers each day, these dawgs are part of my day.

I try and keep an eye out for them.

The other day on my way home, some of the new youngin's, were playing around the hole, NEAR THE STREET!

As I approached, they were spooked, and ran amok.

I was afraid they were going to scramble so, that they would fall from the grass, off the curb, and in to the street; where they could be ran over.

I actually yelled out [seriously], 'stay out of the street!!!'.

No sooner had the words left my mouth, I paused, and looked to around to see if anyone had heard me yell to my dawgs.

Luckily, no one did, lest I be tagged as crazy-Dr.-Doolittle-guy.

Thankfully, they retreated in to their hole.

Then, a few days later, I see Black Cat.

Black Cat is this crazy roaming outdoor cat, that is a predator over the neighborhood.

I have seen him stalk squirrels [my other peeps], and actually catch a bird, and run off with it in its mouth.

So lo and behold, when I saw Black Cat prowling around my dawgs' neighborhood, I became concerned.

But then I thought, 'do cats eat prarie dogs?'

I hope not.

Luckily, the dawgs retreat to their underground kingdom.

Alas, my dawgs are safe.








Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Gay Canuck in the Capital said...

Just to play devils advocate... are you REALLY a tree hugger? Stepping on bugs is one thing, but to truly make a difference...

do you own a car?
how often do you fly?
do you buy groceries that are locally grown?
do you eat beef?
are all your bulbs fluorescent?

June 20, 2007  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Ha.

do you own a car?

No

how often do you fly?

Rarely

do you buy groceries that are locally grown?

Yes

do you eat beef?

Yes

are all your bulbs fluorescent?

You got me on this one. I HATE flourescent lighting. I have halogen at home. But I'm rarely home, so my electric use is minimal. My last electric bill was $23.

June 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi...i was posting at my blog and i click " next blog" and i find yours! I want to say that you have a nice blog! Congratulations!I´ll be back:)

June 20, 2007  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Cool!

Thanks!!

June 20, 2007  
Blogger Colleen said...

I love this! I've never seen prarie dogs in "the wild" i.e. not the zoo, but if I did, I would have their backs as well.

June 20, 2007  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

'The wild', ha.

That's funny.

The area my office is located in is actually pretty city-locked.

There just happens to be a creek and park system that run next to this big sections of undeveloped land.

June 20, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Today.com