Friday, July 25, 2008

Naked Juice



This week, for unknown reasons, I have been craving the Almond Smoothie from Naked Juice.

Tastes great and not too many calories.

But I have noticed that over the course of the week, I have had close to no appetite.

Wednesday, all I had was half a salad, and the smoothie.

Yesterday I only had a sun-dried tomato bagel and the smoothie.

Today, I finally broke down and ate a small bag of Smartfood Popcorn because my stomach was feeling queasy after this morning's smoothie.

[I'm not even hungry but just had to get something in to help sop up the smoothie.]

So in contemplating my queasy stommage, I realized that all week I have felt mildly ill with a funky taste in my mouth.

And really, really tired.

Like the first thought when I wake up is how I can't wait to get back home and go to bed.

Oh yeah, and I have belching A LOT.

Like to the point where occasionally I felt like I would vom.

So I am wondering if one of the ingredients in their concoction doesn't agree with me.

It's mostly just fruit juice but it has soy and whey protein in it.

Maybe I OD'd on whey.

What is whey anyway?

Anybody else get have the same experience?

Update: Looking at the Naked site, I don't even see the Almond smoothie as listed as one of their products anymore. Yikes.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger QuakerJono said...

It does sort of sound like you're developing a whey allergy. Do you know about how long after you drink this smoothie you start having symptoms or you symptoms intensify? Are you lactose intolerant? It's not exactly a common allergy, but if it's what's at the root of the problem, it's easily avoidable.

Whey is the liquid left over after milk is curdled and strained for cheese making. It's an excellent source of easily digestible proteins, which is why it's a pretty common ingredient in smoothies, health drinks and protein powders. Those proteins, however, can also cause allergic or intolerant reactions. The trick is to see if you're allergic to the whey or are becoming lactose intolerant.

Try not to eat any dairy for a couple of weeks and see if the symptoms clear up. If they do, try adding dairy back into your diet while being very conscious of exactly what's going in you. Otherwise go to your doctor and have a RAST, ImmunoCap or skin-prick test to see what you might be allergic to.

Or it could just be a stomach flu.

July 25, 2008  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

The funky taste in my mouth is usually after a couple of hours.

I eat and drink dairy all the time with no prob so I don't think I'm lactose intolerant.

Maybe it is just a bug.

Or salmonella.

Ha.

July 25, 2008  
Blogger vivavavoom said...

are jalapeno peppers an ingredient in that almond milk? ;)

July 27, 2008  
Blogger Liöüx said...

Former Co-Worker Dan enjoys drinking Naked®™©™.

July 28, 2008  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Now that I haven't had one, I feel great.

July 28, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Today.com