Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Kinda' harsh, but oh well

Email I sent to possibly the worst teacher I have ever had:



From: Brando
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 4:15 PM
To: [Teacher]
Subject: Speech Class 1.24.06




Holly,



If you did or did not notice last night, I walked out of your class. It was either that, or cause a big scene as I was thoroughly upset with the behavior you showed during the speech of the student who was going to discuss perspective using the whiteboard. It was never stated to us verbally, or in the syllabus, that the whiteboard was not to be used.



What disgusted me about this incident, was how you flippantly told him that it was not to be used with no explanation. You could see by his expression that he was thoroughly upset and embarrassed; which was interesting, as we had just spent time prior to the speeches learning anti-anxiety techniques to deal with public speaking. Not only did you embarrass him in front of the class, you proceeded to make a comment under your breath [although, I, sitting in the back row] heard you say sarcastically 'well, you should have been prepared'.



This incident incensed me because not only had you made this student endure this embarrassment, but because you made no mention of not being able to use the board. I was going to use the board as well, and as it turns out, I was doing a speech on perspective too. What doesn't make sense to me is the previous class you made it a point to go through each of our thesis statements and speech topics; which as a result, students said they had to stay past 10' clock. Therefore you should have known if there were duplicate speeches to be done, you should have advised those doing the same topic to maybe change the subject [there were 2 speeches on shoe polishing, and there would have been 2 on perspective had I decided to stay and attempt to present].



So all of this, coupled with the inordinate amount of time that you wasted in class doing things that could be consolidated, left me no option but to leave your class. Your time management skills are highly ineffective, and I am not the only student who feels this way. On smoke breaks, other students in my class made less than positive statements about how you require us to sign in, do role call, and sign in assignments individually as well. There is no reason that one acknowledgement of a student's presence in class should be sufficient.



Additionally, while offering extra credit is noteworthy, spending a half hour discussing each and every play or movie is again a waste of time. You should state extra credit is available, and offer to make the information available during breaks.



For all of the reasons above, I am glad to say that I will not be returning to your class. I have had poor quality teachers at AIC, but never one that has actually forced me to leave and drop a class. I hope you take note of this email as a courtesy that you need to take a closer look at the way that your egocentric-obsessive compulsive personality is leading your classes.



I look forward to never having to be in a class you teach in the future.




Thanks

Brando

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brando this is Hysterical!

Matt D.

February 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Today.com