Saturday, February 18, 2006

Capturing The Friedmans


Wow. So I watched 'Capturing The Friedmans' this weekend and I have to say it is a powerful movie. It seriously jacks with your head. At first you feel a little sorry for Arnie Friedman, but then as things unravel it just becomes a mess.
What's disturbing about this film, is that by the time it is over, you don't know what, or who, to believe. A quick gander at IMDB shows many people are polarized if what is said to have occurred, occurred.
I personally think the hypnotized witnesses were full of shite. I don't think the 'Leap Frog' game occurred. And I have to agree with Jesse that the number of supposed incidents are suspect. I find it odd that none of the kids ever said anything and continued to take classes.
What was disturbing as well, was Arnie's confession letter. Up until that point you have some mild sympathy for him, but that immediately changes with the letter. You realize that you can't really believe anything he had said.
As for the mom, what a beeyotch. I see her point of view, but she was just horrible in dealing with her family. There is no way if I was Jesse, that I would go and see her after I got out of prison.
As for Jesse, I want to believe him that nothing happened during the classes. But I found it suspect that he later comes out and says that Arnie had molested him, and he liked it for the attention. That doesn't mean necessarily that stuff occurred during the classes, but it put his character in to suspect. Ths is the brilliance of the movie; it constantly challenges you as a viewer.
In the end, it was one of those movies that makes you internally conflicted, and leaves you bewildered with life and humanity because there is no Hollywood happy ending. It's a great film that I think people should see, just to see their take on it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Today.com