Friday, March 24, 2006

Blind People


So blind people bum me out. Like my buddy James and his missing limb thing, I have a weird reaction when I see a blind person. I had left work last night and was happy because the day was over, tomorrow was Friday, and I had no plans or obligations for the weekend.

Then I saw her.

There was this little [like 4'6"] Asian girl on my bus who got off at the Market Street station stop like me. I walked up and out to where the shuttle picks you up. Out comes Asian girl wandering around with her cane. She veered off the direction she needed to go like three times.

Finally, she gets to where the shuttle picks you up but she was on the opposite side of where it stops. The shuttle doors open and everyone gets on. She hears the shuttle and turns and tries to scurry over with the help of her cane.

Knowing that the shuttle people wait for no one, I didn't want her to miss it, so I rushed over asked if she needed help and she said 'yes'. I grabbed her arm and helped direct her on to the shuttle. There, I did my good deed as a citizen for the day.

But she bummed me out. I feel scared for blind people because I know not everyone in this world has the best of intentions. I dread to think of someone like her being, well, kind of easy prey for malicious people.

I know that handicapped people are not defenseless and in need of assistance. In fact, I admire them because they can live with an impediment. I'm a big wuss, I can readily admit that. But, I would kill myself if I lost my sight. I don't think I could deal with it.

Every time it snows and there is ice on the ground, I wonder how the blind people get around. I can barely keep my balance sometimes and I have sight. Blegh. Bless the blind people, but they sure make me worry about them.

2 Comments:

Blogger Azahar Machwe said...

Maybe being blind to this world gives you a kind of alter-sight.
And maybe we slip because we see the ice and our brains says 'damn im gonna slip on it now'.

But yes one has to admire the courage it takes to face life on a daily basis if you have a disability.

March 24, 2006  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Good point Azahar.

March 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Today.com