Saturday, May 27, 2006

Blurb Movie Reviews - 'Soldier's Girl'






So this being a gay-themed movie about a soldier falling for a drag queen/transgendered person, you pretty much know how it's going to turn out. But what was great about this one, are the performances by Troy Garity [the soldier], Shawn Hatosy [his bunkmate], and Lee Pace as the tranny.

Lee Pace does a really convincing job of portraying someone who is in the middle of re-assignment surgery. You see shades of masculine and feminine in the same character. A tricky task to pull off when playing a tranny.

Troy Garity as well, does a great job of showing the evolution of the character, as he falls in love with 'Calpernia'. You really get a sense that his character falls in love with the person Calpernia actually is. It is interesting too, that Calpernia, is ex-Navy, so they have a military background in common.

Shawn Hatosy, who I haven't seen in a while, is great as the conflicted 'battle buddy' of Troy's character. You see him try to hook up with a tranny at Calpernia's club, but then later, sets in motion, the gay bashing that ends the story.

What is haunting about the movie, is that it is based on a true story.

Side note:
Watching this movie, made me think of my favorite drag queen names.
My pal Helen came up with 'Anita Dickinside'.
I talked about how there should be a drag queen punk band named 'Gena Lotrimin and The Monistat Three'.
I also like 'Flotilla De Barge'

2 Comments:

Blogger Helen the Felon said...

I hope nobody steals my name now.

Last year sometime, some friends and I wound up sitting next to Flotilla de Barge in a piano bar called Helen's in Chelsea (of course.) She was in man-mode, which was really weird. She was incredibly nice, but I can't look at her the same way, now that I've seen her in trousers. Sigh.

June 01, 2006  
Blogger Joey J said...

My favorite drag name is IONA TRAILER!

June 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Today.com