Friday, December 15, 2006

'Giddy up, giddy up, giddy up, it's grand...



just holding your hand.'

Back in high school there was this chick Becky, who used to be in my classes. She was a riot.

She would always get random songs stuck in her head, and would sing them over and over. Rather than be annoying, it was funny. Often, I would get them stuck in my head, too.

The songs would range from Lionel Ritchie's 'Ballerina Girl', to the Christmas sleigh ride song [even in the middle of Spring].

What was funny about it, was she would always pick the portions of songs, that when taken out of context, made no sense, or sounded odd. Such as the line above about holding hands.

I was taking a nap on my lunch break out in the mall, and they were playing Christmas music over the PA. That song came on, and immediately reminded me of her. We used to get in trouble in Marketing, because we were always cracking each other up, and not paying attention.

Funny how you can associate such particular stuff to a song.

Speaking of Christmas music, I think 'Little Drummer Boy' has to be the gayest, lamest Christmas song, ever.

My faves are Elvis' 'Blue Christmas', Brenda Lee's 'Rocking Around The Christmas Tree', 'Santa Baby' [Eartha Kitt's, or Madonna's, doesn't matter], and, ack!, Mariah Carey's 'All I Want For Christmas [Is You]'.

'Santa Baby' just reminded me of when I dressed up as Santa, and my friend Megan did a rendition of that for some regional DECA competition. I don't really remember why we did it, but I do remember I was wearing only a t-shirt, Santa beard and hat, and boxers. [?] I was even sober at the time.

Actually, thinking of it, Christmas was the most fun during my high school years. Since I was involved in Student Government and DECA, we got to do a lot of community service projects. One project that was a lot of fun, was getting, wrapping, and handing out gifts to underprivileged kids at a Christmas party we sponsored.

As an adult, Christmas just seems like a chore now.

Bah, humbug.

Oh, another great Christmas song is the SCTV/Candian one with the guys from Strange Brew. [And a be-ee-er, in a tree].

I wish on YouTube, someone would post the 'Ceephus And Reesie Christmas Album' skit from 'In living Color'.

Their version of the 'Twelve DaysOf Christmas' went like this:

'Fi-ive pound of grits.
Four collard greens,
Three hamhocks,
Some chit-lins,
And some pigs feet'.

David Alan Grier, and one of the chicks were playing these really bad gospel singers.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Today.com