Monday, March 31, 2008

Why I Shouldn't Be Allowed To Visit Thrift Stores



Recently I had to drop off some clothes at the local charity shop and even though I knew better, I had to browse through the old vinyl.

You readers know I am a big music person, so I like to peruse the discarded libraries of people's past tastes, to find something weird or unique.

Plus, top that with them being dirt cheap, I can easily develop a vinyl problem.

So this time while browsing the shelves, in amidst an obscene amount of 90's hip hop, was this little gem.

'How retarded', I thought.

And I admit I even like disco.

But for a kids' album?

I had to check it out.

I purchase it and head home.

I didn't have my turntable out, so I had to search my storage space for it.

Well, that turned in to an ordeal.

Then I had to find the audio cables and grounding wire because, of course, they weren't with the turntable.

Then I realized that I could only listen to it on my Denon receiver.

While I was doing this I figured I could finally get around to digitizing all my vinyl to keep on file, so I might as well hook it all up to my computer.

The problem with that is now I had no audio system for the television in my bedroom.

Thanks to getting my tax refunds recently, I figured 'what the heck', and decided to go out the next day and get a new system.

Sounds simple enough, so I figured Big Red should have something doable.

No dice.

Checked three Big Reds and they either only had boomboxes and iPod bays, or really cheap and crappy theater systems.

Now I could have easily gone to Best Buy, or Circuit City, but I have heard way too many horror stories about both places, so I figured good old standby, Sears, should have something.

Long story short [too late], I found a decent JVC system and brought it home.

Man, was that thing heavy.

The subwoofer must weigh at least 75 pounds by itself.

Anywho, I get that all set up to the bedroom TV, and proceed to set up the Denon tuner to my computer.

Took about two hours total.

So I finally throw Disco MM on the platter, and boy was I right: it was super-cheezey.

Ha ha.

Honestly, who was the target market for this?

Did kids really want a Disco MM album?

I guess so.

Ack.

Oh man, it's bad.

For instance, check this out.

Ha ha.

In addition to Disco MM, I also purchase some other cheezey music that I will post about later.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger ayeM8y said...

Love it. I have a huge vinyl collection that I occasionally digitize. I run into the some story having to find my turntable then the cables...The things we do for music.

March 31, 2008  
Blogger Alienwhere said...

We had this in my house for some reason. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw it here.

It really is that bad.

March 31, 2008  
Blogger James said...

We used to have this record, too. Funny thing is that we were trailer park poor and bought it from a thrift store back then (early to mid-80s).

We used to get packs of three or four kids records. Ever hear of Disco Duck?

March 31, 2008  
Blogger Meredith said...

Oh my god, I had that too! I am sure it's still in my parents' basement. I think it had 'Macho Mouse' or 'Disco Duck' on it or something.

April 01, 2008  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Yah, 'Disco Duck' was done by Rick Dees.

There's a 'Macho Duck' on this Mickey album.

I'll have to post it.

April 01, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Today.com