Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Baby Bar Crawl

Couple charged with child abuse after bringing baby inside bar

'BOULDER – A couple is charged with child abuse after bringing their 5-month-old son inside a bar early Friday morning.

Elizabeth Samoy says she and her husband, Ryan Worley, went out to eat with friends, and then went for drinks at 7 on Pearl, located at 1035 Pearl Street. Samoy says she was outside on the patio, drinking a couple of glasses of wine. Witnesses told Boulder Police both Samoy and Worley were drunk.

"My husband came from the bar at one point with the baby and said that he had been dancing on the floor with the baby and I told him not to bring the baby in there because the DJ had come on and it was very loud," Samoy said. "I was at the table talking with other people at the table about taking a cab home and they had all agreed to pay for it. They were supportive of that. And before I could do anything else, there was a commotion and all these police officers showed up and they took my husband inside and handed me the baby."

Samoy says police took them both in for questioning. Police say Samoy blew a 0.146 on a breathalyzer test. The legal limit in Colorado is 0.08. Police say Worley refused the test and spent the night in jail. The Department of Social Services took the baby into temporary custody for the night.

"It's not something that we come across often, this type of situation," said Boulder Police Department spokesperson Julie Brooks. "I don't even recall the last time we were called to a bar, if you will, to take custody of an infant. It's not something that happens frequently. We hope the family can get the resources they need to make sure the situation does not happen again."

Samoy says her son was returned to her the next day, but says because of a court order, Worley is not allowed back home or to see his son for at least a week.

Social Services is now monitoring the family and Samoy must take breathalyzer tests all week.

"I know my judgment is being called into question now, and that's something I take very seriously," she said. "So I'm going to do whatever I have to do to prove that, to prove myself."'

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger lioux said...

A few years ago I used to hang out with these french girls and they Loved, Loved, Loved to hang out at this one particular dive bar not far from us.

One time, and I kid you not, we saw a couple there partying with their baby in a car seat ON the bar.

July 25, 2007  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

I could see if it was a restaurant that after a certain point a band or DJ shows up, and the parents just kind of forget. But a full blown bar is crazy.

July 25, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Today.com