Monday, November 26, 2007

I say let her fry.



I wouldn't want some person blasting a horn in my neighborhood. Especially for the Broncos.

Neighbor never meant for Broncos fan to 'have a criminal experience'

'ADAMS COUNTY – The 69-year-old woman who faces a disorderly conduct charge for her Broncos celebration met in the magistrate's office on Monday.

Jeri Priest, who honks a contraption she calls "The Broncos Horn" after each Denver score on game day, met in the magistrates office to go over the charges she faces.

"We need to get all the police reports, witness statements and all the information relevant to this case, so that we can do a full investigation and make a decision as to what the appropriate course for this case is to take," said J.P. Moore, chief trial deputy attorney.

Priest faces the misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct which carries a maximum penalty of a $500 fine and 6 months in jail. She is due back in court on December 18 for a pre-trial conference.

After every Broncos' score, Priest and her husband Larry and their neighbors let off one hearty honk for each point scored. The horn is an odd-looking device Larry Priest built 30 years ago. It's a two-wheel dolly carrying six car horns all hooked to a car battery. A relay switch allows Jeri Priest to sound the horn from the comfort of her home.

"Go Broncos, I love the Broncos. I don't care if they lost yesterday, I still honk the horns, I'm always a Broncos fan," said Priest.

The neighbor, who asked 9NEWS to remain anonymous, has called the Adams County Sheriff's Department numerous times to complain about the noise. On October 21, as the Broncos battled the Steelers, deputies filed an arrest report accusing Priest of disorderly conduct.

He told 9NEWS he never meant for this to get out of hand this way.

"I'm not asking for the horn to be silenced," the man said, "I'm asking for it to be strategically placed. It's not my intent for a 70-year-old woman to have a criminal experience."

He went on to say, "I would like everyone to know, I tried to go there a couple of years ago to try to talk to them, as any neighborhood. Jeri Priest was very rude ... she didn't want to point it behind the house, she wouldn't do it."

The Priests say they have since put the horn in their backyard.

The neighbor told 9NEWS, "I will drop the charges if I get a firm commitment from them that they put the horn in their back yard pointing north or east--pointing away from my house."

The man also said the "whole problem is the result of the lack of communication. I would even pay for a mediator to talk to them."

He said the horn is more than 10 times the acceptable decibel amount, it's very loud and "bases through my house."'

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Today.com