Monday, January 30, 2006

Happiness


Wow. So also managed to watch 'Happiness' this weekend. I forgot how Todd Solondz can be so unflinching in his work. This was one of those movies that makes you feel 'icky' at points. I'm surprised he 'went there' in regards to the dad being a chester molester.

What was hard to watch, as well, as the actor who plays the dad Dylan Baker [what's with this being a Baker weekend?], also played a preacher on an episode of 'Strangers With Candy'. Plus, I know I have seen him in other stuff.

It's kinda funny because the Strangers episode he was in [Is Freedom Free], deals with Gerri taking a risque photo and the preacher strong arms the school to get it taken down - from being displayed from the 'Freedom Cage' no less [love Strangers With Candy!].

Anyway, the movie is just depressing, yet intriguing to watch. The Cathryn Manheim plot line is kind of unbelievable, but it goes with the tableau of the movie I guess. The story of the parents was also dragged and I actually had to fast forward through their scenes. Oh, and Joy, man she needs to grow a pair, or at least go on a heavy round of meds. Her 'woe is me' attitude was labored to watch. She almost deserved what she got in my opinion.

Overall though I think it is an interesting work. Some people may find it offensive and hard to watch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Today.com